- Are watercraft allowed? – Do check the legal requirements for access on to the water. Some lakes and waterways permit nothing at all, not even a kayak, while others might prohibit motor craft of any kind. Your dreams could soon be dashed without good research!
- Are Boat Docks or slipways permitted? – Although the home has easy access to the water’s edge, it does not necessarily mean that you can moor your watercraft to your land on a permanent basis. Thankfully the builder or realtor can easily check such matters out for you in advance. Some restrictions may apply to the number of piers to the boat dock.
- Do you want water and electricity on the dock? – Being able to service your boat with water, or power up portable tools can be a make or break for a boat owner. Be sure to make provision to supply your boat dock with utilities. Above all, its a lovely lifestyle touch to run a drinks cooler for a lazy afternoon on your boardwalk!
- Choosing the best materials – the aesthetics of the boat dock should be sympathetic to the surroundings and architecture of your own home. Tasteful design makes a huge difference!
Modern materials also make for weather resistance, and much needed in humid or sun drenched states.
- Future Proof your water craft! – You may be happy with your current boat now, but what will your future needs bring? Can your boat dock cope?
Another great piece of advice is to hold back on buying a boat right away. You could easily select the wrong boat, so spend some time with your new neighbors and increase your knowledge if you can!
- Bugs are a part of life by the water – Pool screens are the best way to secure a bug free lanai, but modern retractable screens offer solutions to balconies and terraced areas without disturbing the view of the lakeside from the main living areas of the home.
- Fabulous wildlife to admire – Much overlooked by potential lake front owners, the lake front wildlife is adorable. Discover or create some cool vantage points to sit and relax with your new ‘community’. Cameras, binoculars and sketch pads will inevitably become a part of your family life! Don’t be fearful of gators, but be mindful and design the yard area to keep these cool animals in there part of the world, not yours!
- Fishing – is always a great way to enjoy the peace of your amazing lake front home. Research the species in your lake and what lures, bait and techniques work best!
- Summer kitchens – whether it is down by the dockside, or a part of your lanai, those summer kitchens are perfect for much needed quality family time. Most family memories are captured during meal times and your stunning new McNally custom home is the perfect place to nurture those precious moments!
- Locations are limited – Hardly any new lakes get built, so be mindful that lake lot prices will always outgrow the costs of a regular inland lot. What may seem pricey now, will seem a missed opportunity in years to come if you don’t seize the right opportunity at the right time!
- Do your research – Understand the historic and typical water levels in the area and design driveways, walkways and your home in general to avoid any damage or inconvenience. Water levels will occasionally rise, so make sure you have taken the necessary precautions.
Check insurance costs for your home before you buy, or ask your realtor or builder for a list of insurers that specialize in water front homes.
If you’d like to know more about owning a McNally lake side home, contact us today!
As experts in the design and construction of luxury custom homes within Central Florida, we’d love to be a part of your family’s next adventures!
We will work carefully with your own plans and designs, or gladly create a collection of concepts and ideas that can be fine tuned to your precise requirements.