Just because you’ve got a huge budget to call upon, there’s no guarantee your home will be luxurious!
Tasteful and considerate detailing is the key to everything in upscale custom home building.
Central Florida is however a very special place for custom homes, where outdoor living spaces offer a novel perspective.
Add the fact that our finest homes are often just a stone’s throw away from those outrageous theme parks and you have a license to get away with much, much more down here in the Sunshine State!
First Consideration: Are you building a residential home or a vacation investment home?
Does it matter?
Simply put, yes.
Themed rooms are almost an essential tool to lure in precious weeks of occupancy in vacation rental homes.
In a residential home, those over the top themed bedrooms can drive you insane, year in year out.
The more time a person spends time in those rooms, the speed at which costly remodel is needed increases.
Stay charming but neutral in residential homes, but be bold and adaptive in vacation homes in Florida!
What’s Hot in the Disney Parks Area’s Luxury Vacation Homes?
- Outdoor living spaces allow out of state visitors to make use of the year round Floridian lifestyle.
- Summer kitchens, gas BBQ grills and creative pools with sun shelves and water features are in.
- Easy to use Bluetooth sound systems allow guests to connect their smart devices to specific speakers around the home.
- Simple home automation stops guest confusion, but lowers running costs! AC turns off when external doors are left open and pool heating is optimized to suit occupancy.
- Well specified games rooms are big winners, especially if they have a creative theme and lots of choice on offer. Pool tables are much lower on the food chain with younger gamers! They want more!
Garage conversions need to be cool, in every possible sense! No AC? Forget it.
- King sized adult beds are expected, all with en suite bathrooms too.
- Kids bunk rooms with imaginative themes are the norm, so push the ideas hard to stand out from the competition!
- Home theaters have really moved on to a very high standard.
Projection screens are still popular in the very large theaters, but think about a smaller seating count and +75″ SMart TV’s for lower maintenance costs and better features.
Consider using the space saved to create a hybrid games/bar/small theater ambiance.
What’s Not so Hot in the Luxury Vacation Homes Near Disney!
- Slides are an insurance cost risk in rental homes, but they do attract occupancy, so do your homework!
- Faux paint effects are a thing of the past as owners experiment with flat finish dry wall and well chosen trim and paint finishes.
- Elaborate classical trim work and rustic finishes are no longer being selected by owners (or renters!)
- Wooden floors are beautiful, but the new porcelain and ceramic tiled planking has all of the beauty without those suitcase scratches!
- Avoid wireless TV Surveillance systems around the home. They can be illegal and will certainly make your guests anxious!
- Ensure that bathrooms are tiled to a high specification. Carpets are a big ‘NO’
- By all means keep an area locked off for you owner items, but not at the expense of guest storage or convenience!
- Don’t leave guests without adequate parking spaces! Divide the number of bedrooms by 2 for a rough guide to driveway spots.
What’s Hot in Luxury Residential Homes
- Fully integrated Smart Home Automation is adding comfort, security and savings to the top of the ‘New Home’ wish list!
- Real effect ‘fire’ displays using vapor effects are popular in the luxury custom home sector, great ambient effects without the heat.
- Super Large TV’s are dropping in price and enable a more spacious layout for living rooms and family areas. (70″ for around $1500 at the time of writing)
- Advances in durable flooring systems allow indoor and outdoor living areas to integrate beautifully. (See examples in HOUZZ.com)
- LED lighting provides a significant cost saving along with adjustable light temperatures for color effects in rooms or on pool decks.
- Instant boiling water systems such as Insinkerator offer a safe alternative to watching that kettle boil!
- Hidden & slimline air vents take the ‘ugly’ out of air conditioning. (See examples on HOUZZ.com)
- Although the luxury home market is generally moving in a more contemporary direction, there’s still lots of love around for carefully designed traditional features and accents.
Owners look for the ‘gingerbread’ effect to lift the kerb appeal and create a comfortable ambience after a tough day at the office. Traditional features can blend well within the right sort of residential home! (some ideas here)
What’s Not in Fashion (probably never was in fashion!) in the Luxury Home Market
- Animal Stonework in the external grounds (unless it is a worthy monster of a home!)
- Carpets in bath rooms. (Anyone that has ever cleaned a bathroom will know exactly why!)
- Mud swirl ceilings, of any sort.
- Bidet sets in bathrooms. Not cool, never was.
- Latest appliance trends that haven’t stood the test of time (steam ovens, built in coffee makers quickly outdate – thanks Keurig!)
- Indoor water features (unless it is a worthy monster of a home!)
- Faux wall treatments. We’ve seen some that work beautifully, but it is very rarely done well.
- Large imposing exterior columns (unless it is a worthy monster of a home!)
- Outdoor trampolines and other recreational structures
- Indoor pools (unless it is a worthy monster of a home!)
- Statement pieces that say the wrong thing!
- Inadequate storage in bedrooms
- Rooms that are way to large or way too small for their intended use.
- Complicated to understand audio and home theater systems
Let the experts take care of your future dream home!
Thankfully, the McNally team can help you turn your hard earned money into a truly beautiful and successful dream home.
Our designers and experts can guide you through each and every step of the way to create a perfect custom home for your needs right here in Central Florida!
Let the experts do the work for you!
You may be interested in remodeling your Windermere area home.
Check out our Keenes Pointe rebuild article following a shocking lightning strike!